Domain Name Registration in Rosebank, Gauteng, Johannesburg
Get a quote
For International orders:
Buy on HostGator
- Make sure people come to your site instead of a competitor's yourdomain.co.za and yourdomain.com can take you to the same place
- Professional email accounts at your domain
- Make an impact with email accounts at your own domain, together with your website.
What is a domain name?
- A domain name allows people to find your website when browsing the internet and provides a virtual postal address to which all your email will be routed.
- A Domain name is just an internet website address. The actual address used by computers is numerical in format and is referred to as an IP (Internet Protocol) address (for example: 22.214.171.124) and as you can see, it's not the easiest format to remember. The Domain "name" system was created and has made remembering and referring of websites much easier and creative.
- A domain name is a unique combination of letters and/or numbers which makes up the web address of your website. For example, cwd.co.za is our domain name.
- Having your own domain name is the first step towards creating an online presence. If you'd like to know whether your preferred domain name is available, or if you're looking to renew or transfer your domain, CWD is here to help you.
Why do I need a domain?
- In the business world, domain names are as common as telephone and fax numbers. If your advertisements or business cards do not display a domain name, you run the risk of being passed over by customers that prefer to browse merchandise and services online. A good domain name is vital for a business's branding and awareness, but more importantly aids in protecting copyrights, trademarks and product information.
- Registering a domain is the first step in establishing an online identity for you or your business. Having a good domain name allows you to create a customised website and have professional looking email addresses.
For individuals, Domains allow families, authors, artists etc. the opportunity to register a unique and memorable address which can promote your cause. For instance if your name is Tom Smith, you could try and get the Domain name of "tomsmith.co.za", so anyone looking for you online would easily find you. If you had a family website then a Domain name such as "smithfamily.co.za" would give it a nice touch.
Start building your online presence today. Having your own domain name ensures the integrity of your brand.
Domain name as a brand name
When you start a business your register your business name and trade marks at this time you should consider to register a domain name, as all of these items is regarded as a brand name for your company.
Why register a brand name?
If someone else beats you to it, they may use it for other purposes, which may be distasteful and harm your business.
Even if you don't have immediate plans for a website, securing your domain name now will avoid dissappointment later on. If someone beats you to registering your business name as a domain, it may be very costly, if not impossible, to purchase ownership of the name from the registrar.
Choosing the right domain name.
When customers want to find a business, whether it's a local drycleaner or a global store, the Internet is the first place they look.
You will want a domain name if your company:
- supplies unique products or services
- has one or more registered trademarks and/or brand names
- would like to be associated with a concept, e.g. if you are in the business of selling paint, you might want a website called "www.paintwarehouse.co.za".
- It is also possible for you do have all your email at your domain name i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org
What's a good domain name?
A good domain name is short, easy to remember and represents your business.,/p>
- short and sharp
- easy to spell
- easy to remember
Remember at times you will be giving your domain name or e-mail address over the phone so the shorter the name and the easier the name sounds the less chance you have for spelling errors.
Benefits of Domain names
- A great benefit of having a unique email and web address is that you own it, not your Internet Service Provider (ISP). If ever you need to change your ISP, you get to keep your valuable email address. This will prevent any lost sales or orders, missed messages and save you money by eliminating the re-printing of all your letterheads, business cards, etc.
- Not only make it easy for customers to find your business on the Web, they also give you a place where you can create your own unique online presence, from a simple online business card with your contact information, hours and location to a full-blown Web store.
- How you choose your domain name depends on where you are with your business. If you're already up and running with a brick-&-mortar location, you'll want to choose a domain that matches your business name. You've worked hard to create a name and a brand that customers know and love, so you having the matching domain only makes sense for your customers.
What else do I need to get my website or email up and running?
Your domain will be automatically parked with cwd until you choose to link it to a hosting or email package. If you want to set up hosting and email, purchase a hosting package from us, starting at just R50pm.
How long does a domain registration take?
Your domain will be registered instantly, once the subscription form has been received.
- www.yourname.co.za usually takes about 24 hours.
- www.yourname.org.za (non profit organisation) usually takes upto 5 days.
- The .org.za domain is for South African non-commercial organisations, including but not limited to charities, NGOs, Section 21 companies, trade and industry associations, trade unions, political parties and religious organisations.
- Requirements: A copy of the organisations section 21 certificate or a formal declaration on the organisations letterhead confirming that they are non-profit.
- www.yourname.com usually takes about 24 - 48 hours.
How long will it take for a domain to start working?
It will take around 24 hours for the domain name system records to be updated (or propagate), after which your domain, e-mail and web site will work perfectly.
My preferred domain name is taken, what should I do?
You can try adding a hyphen between words e.g. "midrand-webdesign.co.za" or try alternative Top Level Domains (TLDs), such as .net or .biz. You can also try reformulating your name e.g. "midrandbestwebdesign.co.za"
Which domain extension should I choose?
There is no difference, it comes down to personal preference. However the most popular types are .co.za and .com. A .co.za is the South African domain extension while a .com is for commerce, we would suggest registering a .com if you want to attract overseas markets.
For protection of your brand we would recommend registering both the .co.za and the .com domain names. To protect your brand from competition on local and international markets.
Question: Do I have to take a hosting package to host with CWD?
Answer: Yes, Domain parking is best if you are just planning on reserving the domain.